World Mental Health Day 2022
‘There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t’
Advance is proud to support World Mental Health Day! As a Housing and Support provider for people with learning disabilities and mental health issues, we are strong believers in looking after our individual mental health and the wellbeing of others.
Today is a reminder to take time everyday to look after our wellbeing, break down stigma and take care of those around us. Although World Mental Health Day occurs once a year, our mental health is something we must look after all 365 days a year.
Prioritising our wellbeing allows us to reach our potential, feel more confident in ourselves, cope with daily life and play a full part in our families, workplaces, communities and among friends.
The NHS suggests 5 steps to improve your mental health and wellbeing:
- Connect with Other people – good relationships are important to your wellbeing. They can help build a sense of belonging and self-worth and provide emotional support.
- Be physically active – as well as improving your physical health, being active can help raise your self-esteem and impact your mood.
- Learn new skills – this can boost your self-confidence, help build a sense of purpose and allow you to connect with others.
- Give to others – research shows acts of kindness can give you a feeling of purpose, help connect with others and create positive feelings.
- Pay attention to the present moment – this is also called mindfulness. It can help you enjoy life more and understand yourself better.
On World Mental Health Day it is also important to remember that you never know what someone is going through. Everyone is fighting their own battle and we must be kind and patient with each other. The Mental Health Foundation has good advice on supporting someone you know with their mental health. Read it here.
Helpful extra resources
BAME mental health resources
LGBTQ+ mental health resources
If you have done anything to celebrate World Mental Health Day, share your story with us and let us know. Send an email to email@example.com or submit your story via our facebook group