Shared Ownership Frequently Asked Questions

We hope this Q&A section will help you to decide if Home Ownership for people with Long-Term Disabilities (HOLD) is the right option for you. It gives you more information on the process but if you have any additional questions please get in touch by email or call our friendly team on 0333 012 4307.

What is Home Ownership for People with Long-term Disabilities?

What is HOLD?

HOLD is a government-backed shared ownership scheme specifically for people with a long-term disability as classified under the Equality Act. It is a route into home ownership for people with a disability who might otherwise not be able to secure a mortgage or suitable property to meet their needs. The shared ownership model encourages a more level playing field as far as buying properties go and helps to create more diverse communities.

Who is HOLD for?

HOLD is available (subject to lender approval) to people aged 18 or over with long-term disabilities as classified under the Equality Act. This covers physical and learning disabilities, cognitive and sensory impairments and enduring mental health issues. An individual, couple or friends can buy a share of the property and rent the remaining share from Advance.

What are the Advance criteria for using the HOLD scheme?

There are three criteria you need to meet in order to be considered for the HOLD scheme with Advance. You need to have a recognised long-term disability as classified under the Equality Act. You need to be 18 years old (or 18 when you finalise the mortgage and legal side) – so can start the process up to six months before you turn 18 years old. If your only household income is from benefits you may be able to get a mortgage through MySafeHome. You will need about £15-20,000 for this mortgage. You can contact MySafeHome on 02476 402211. If you don’t meet all of these three criteria we are unlikely to be able to help you. You also need to have mental capacity to purchase and sell a property. If not then you will need someone who is appointed by the courts to act on your behalf.

Please note you will also need to meet criteria from lenders to be eligible for a mortgage.

How does it work?

What are the benefits of HOLD?

Home ownership under the HOLD scheme lets you choose a property from the open market, within your agreed budget, just like everyone else who is looking to buy a property. This gives you the opportunity to choose where you live and the kind of property you live in, coupled with the security that home ownership provides.

Is HOLD different to other Shared Ownership schemes?

The main difference between HOLD and other shared ownership schemes is that you can choose to buy a property on the open market – provided it is in a good state of repair. In many other ways it is the same – you get to part-buy and part-rent your home (house or flat) with Advance retaining a % ownership in the property which is rented back to you as the Shared Owner. Like other Shared Ownership schemes owners can increase their % ownership of the property over time. This is called stair casing. Advance retains responsibility for many of the repairs and maintenance that you may need help and support with. The cost of this is included in a service charge. The rent and service charges might be covered by Housing Benefit or under Universal Credit’s housing costs. Advance can also offer Support services in some parts of the country.

Is there a minimum % share you need to buy in the property?

New owners can start with as little as 25% of the property. This will depend on your budget and Advance’s financial viability assessment. Like any other shared ownership scheme you can increase your share of ownership in the property over time.


Are there different ways of funding a property?

The share you buy can be funded either by your own or private funding or your own mortgage if you work or a special HOLD mortgage through MySafeHome, if you do not have any employed income. Advance’s share is purchased using a grant from Homes England. This dictates which counties across England where we can offer HOLD. If a grant from Homes England is not available, then it can be replaced by funding from your family or friends or a Trust (in the form of a loan). Advance also adds of our own funding.

What are the mortgage options?

You can either secure your own mortgage, if you have earned income, or we can refer you to the specialist mortgage broker MySafeHome who can arrange bespoke mortgages for people with a long term disability, and have no employment income and claim benefits. We have worked with them for many years and they have an in depth knowledge of the market

Mortgages organised through MySafeHome are interest only, which can be paid for by a Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) Loan We strongly recommend you contact MySafeHome for further information and speak to an expert benefit advisor prior to arranging your mortgage.

If you source your own mortgage, it will be subject to that lender’s criteria and costs.

What do I have to pay for – it sounds expensive?

Shared ownership won’t be right for everyone. It does require having access to funds to make it possible – including costs for finding and securing a mortgage (e.g. fees to a mortgage advisor or broker, and fees to a solicitor to deal with the legal side of a property purchase). You will need to pay rent on the property and service charges to cover essential repairs and maintenance of the property. However, the interest payments on the mortgage, the rent and service charges may be met by eligible payments in addition to your current benefits through the Department of Work & Pensions – making it more accessible. The details of this would all be discussed with you by our friendly team so you know the budget you can afford, before you start searching for a property.

I don’t have £15-20,000 to cover the deposit and fees – what can I do?

We know that having up to £20,000 available to fund deposits and fees is probably out of reach for many people. However there are a few routes you might want to consider to access or raise the funds:

  • Contribution or loan from a family member, relative or friend – some families have been able to contribute to the fees either through a loan from their savings or exploring things like equity release in their own property. For investment into the shared ownership property, a legal charge can be arranged to ensure the investment is recouped eventually at the point of sale
  • Charity/Grant Making organisations – there are lots of grant giving or charitable organisations who might be able to part fund the or contribute to the fees – have a look at a site like
  • Approach your local authority  – we know some who have been successful in encouraging their local authority to part fund deposits and fees – in many cases help with a deposit compares favourably with the costs of other housing options if the local authority is funding them
  • Crowd-funding: there are sites you could use to appeal to others for funding:, or Facebook
  • As a final option you might be able to draw the funds together from a mixture of the above approaches – perhaps merging personal savings with a family loan or contribution with a grant or other funds raised

Other than repairs and maintenance what else does Advance provide?

Advance provides support services to help people with disabilities and mental health conditions to live independently in the community. If you need support to live independently we would be happy to help provide that service if we have teams working in the area you want to buy in.

We provide assistance to a parent, appointee or legal guardian where applicants need help with filling forms in or are having difficulties accessing complex information, as part of the purchase process.

The process

How long does the process normally take to complete?

Providing all is in order from the initial enquiry to completion of a purchase of a property it can take anything between 6-9 months. Each purchase and each property search is different so there is no specific time. Our aim is to support people through the process and help them to find the right home and make the right decision for them.

Can I share with someone else?

HOLD shared ownership is usually for people who cannot share with others, but that does not mean you cannot do it. If you have a friend who wants to buy a property with you, they will have to fulfil the same criteria as you for the HOLD scheme. It is however important to remember that the funding is per property and not per person. If one of you wants or needs to move out, the property will either need to be sold or you can buy the other person share out or find someone else to buy the share.

How can I help other people to access the HOLD shared ownership scheme?

Some shared owners having chosen to make a donation to Advance in their Will. By remembering Advance Housing and Support Ltd in your Will you can make a huge difference to the lives of other customers. Big or small, your donation will make a difference. If you would like to make it available specifically to help others access shared ownership please let us know. To find out more about leaving a gift or legacy to Advance Housing and Support Ltd in your Will please contact: or go to:

What happens if I want to sell my shared ownership home in the future or move to another property?

Advance’s aim is to help you to live in your property as long as it is suitable for you. We understand that people’s needs and circumstances can change and cannot stop you from selling your property. However if you want or need to sell your property, you need to know that you cannot just give Advance notice as you would do with renting a property.

Some people have chosen to sell their homes. Some have sold and bought another property to better suit their changing needs. If you did want to sell you would need to contact us to let us know why. Secondly, you would need to get an independent market appraisal of the value of the property. From that we would agree a price to market and an agent to sell through.

If you were planning to buy another shared ownership property we would calculate your maximum purchase price from the financial details, which would form your budget to start a new property search. Solicitors would need to be consulted to manage the legal process and the fees agreed. We would look to secure an offer on your current property before putting in an offer and buying a share of another one.

Our aim would be to recoup the initial financial investment we made in the property and try to ensure you have a home which meets your needs.

Why does Advance offer HOLD?

Advance Housing and Support is a not-for-profit housing organisation. We exist to transform the lives of people with a disability or mental health condition by providing the best quality housing and support services. We believe everyone should be able to own their own home and that disability shouldn’t be a barrier to home ownership.

We started our shared ownership programme in 1998 and have supported nearly 700 people so far. We are acknowledged experts in the field and have worked alongside MySafeHome, a specialist mortgage broker, to develop and improve the process over the last 20 years.

We are proud of our involvement with HOLD. In 2018 we won the 'Most Innovative Home Ownership Solution' Award at the National Housing Awards as well as being awarded the 'Overall Winner.' The judges said: "A phenomenal programme and fully inclusive offer that is not delivered anywhere else at this scale or with this commitment to a wide range of customers who have a series of different living and financial vulnerabilities. There are a lot of stakeholders involved, with whom Advance has created excellent partnership arrangements. This is a truly wonderful programme and a very valuable service that empowers people with disabilities into home ownership."

More information

How can I find more information?

Our leaflet on the website explains the scheme in more detail. There is a wealth of information available on charity websites and other sites. We know people do a lot of research into housing options before they come to us – and we strongly recommend you do so.

Some useful reading is the Local Government Association overview `Home ownership for people with long-term disabilities (HOLD)'.   You can learn more about Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) here:

We also recommend looking at the MySafeHome website and Government Help to Buy website in the first instance. You will need to register with your regional Help to Buy agent if you proceed with the scheme – and most likely need to use MySafeHome to access a mortgage.

We also recommend you register with your Local Authority or the Local Authority in the area you wish to live so that they can advise you on housing options in your area.

I want to apply what do I do next?

If you think that our shared ownership scheme could be right for you please complete our online enquiry form. It covers the three qualifying criteria and gathers other information which will help us review your enquiry.

If you are thinking of future options for you, your son or daughter but are not ready to make an enquiry or don’t meet all our criteria at this time please do still get in touch by email or call us on 0333 012 4307.